[NAFEX] Paw Paw species propagation

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Nov 10 09:56:17 EST 2005

In a message dated 11/9/2005 5:44:08 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
bassem at gardener.com writes:

> I have a sugar apple "annona squamosa", I grow it in a container... It
> fruits well for me with artificial pollination. I need to try crossing it with
> pawpaw. If I tried getting pollen from the pawpaw flower and applied it to the
> stigma of the A. squamosa, Would that be the common way? Is that usually done
> at a sterile environment?
> The flowers are much different. I always wondered if any one tried it. The
> Annona might flower at different time than the pawpaw... In my greenhouse it
> blooms early april... but may continue blooming until july... so I need to
> test it next spring.

Collecting pawpaw pollen in a sterile atmosphere isn't necessary, or even
advantageous to my knowledge. In nature insects carry the pollen. I hand
pollinate pawpaw all the time and don't even wash my hands or the tools. I might have
frozen pawpaw pollen. Can send fresh pollen late May.

Jerry