[NAFEX] Paw Paw species propagation

lee reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Wed Nov 9 16:23:07 EST 2005

Here's what I wrote about other species in my book Uncommon Fruits
for Every Garden (Timber Press, 2004):

             Some of the pawpaw’s deficiencies could be overcome by
hybridization with other members of the genus Asimina, to wit some of
the Southern species, with which pawpaw readily crosses and which
excel in complementary qualities. For example, A. parviflora is an
upright shrub or small tree that is cold-hardy to the coastal plain
of Virginia, is self-fruitful, and ripens its (barely) edible fruits
weeks before the pawpaw. To make the flowers more attractive to
insects, one might introduce some blood of the fragrant-flowered A.
reticulata. Pawpaws might even be grown for their flowers as well as
their fruits if they had the lovely, four-inch-diameter flowers of A.
obovata.

             Delicious hybrids also might result from cross-breeding
the pawpaw with some of its tropical and subtropical relatives, such
as the cherimoya (Annona cherimola) and sugar apple (Annona
squamosa). Thus far, such hybrids are elusive.

Lee Reich, PhD
www.leereich.com

Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden