[NAFEX] additional autmn olive report

bobptc at verizon.net bobptc at verizon.net
Wed Nov 9 15:58:23 EST 2005

I have three named cultivars of autumn olive, obtained from several nurseries.  All bore heavily this year. At two dates I averaged the weight of 300 berries from each with the following results:

                         9/19/05      10/3/05

Ruby                     0.28 g        0.34 g

Brilliant Rose           0.47 g        0.47 g

Sparkling Blush          0.40 g        0.58 g

I didn't weigh any of the local wild berries but all were much smaller than these.  At both pickings, and when tasted from the bushes two weeks later, they all tasted about the same, not much different from most of the wild berries, sweet but with a slight astringency.  All made excellent jelly.

This is in full sun in south central PA (Adams county) on heavy clay soil derived from the local diabase rock.

Bob Hartley z6