[NAFEX] Tree Wrap Anyone ?

Richard MURPHY murphman108 at msn.com
Mon Nov 7 20:29:36 EST 2005

Hi All;

It's Richard Murphy (again). Zone 4 Maine.

Last month I wrapped 70 apple trees (2 or 3 yr old) with that white colored tree-wrap from Gemplers or Home Depot.
It said it also protects against rodents.

After 2 weeks I went back up to check on things.
All the tree wraps were cool, except for one.
Something chewed through one of the wraps, but didn't touch the bark at all.
Maybe there was a bug under the fabric.
The fabric is tough but stretchy, so this wasn't easy to do...
All the mulch is pulled away from the trees.
Has anyone used this fabric against voles / mice ???
Is it effective, or do I need to run back up there with some hardware cloth?
I lost 20 of 90 trees last year. Don't want a relapse.

Help....

Richard Murphy

PS

Any sources for Evans cherry trees in addition to SLN and Fedco ?