[NAFEX] buartnuts

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Nov 4 12:52:18 EST 2005

At 10:50 AM 11/4/2005, Lee wrote:
>Does anyone out there know the pollination needs of buartnut? Are they
>self-pollinating or do they need another buartnut, a butternut, or a
>heartnut? A black walnut would work, perhaps?

Lee,
Probably all of the above-mentioned have the capability of being potential
pollenators - *IF* pollen-shed/nutlet receptivity patterns are compatible -
and this will vary from cultivar to cultivar.  I can't say for sure if a
single buartnut would be self-fertile, but certainly if one or more
potential pollenators are present, the likelihood of getting good nut crops
would be enhanced.
Typically, I would anticipate the buartnut, butternut, heartnut, or
Japanese walnut to be your best bet for getting the job done, but there are
some confirmed buartXblack trees out there, so cross-pollenation with
J.nigra does occur on occasion, even without human intervention.

Lucky