[NAFEX] Fire Blight Control

Dennis Norton dmnorton at royaloakfarmorchard.com
Tue Nov 1 19:29:15 EST 2005

Here is some info for Dr. Alves' fire blight problem.  Check this link,
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/pdf/3002.pdf from the Ohio State
University Extension website.  If you are unable to download a .pdf file,
try this link, http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3002.html.  Here is an
excerpt from the article:

"Prune out fire blight cankers and blighted twigs. To decrease the inoculum
level for the following season, prune out blighted twigs and cankers during
the dormant season. During the dormant season (winter) there is much less
chance of spreading bacteria. Branches that are more than half-girdled by
cankers should be removed. Cut off blighted twigs by making cuts at least 4
inches below the visible dead wood. Cankers can be cut out of trunks or
large branches by removing dead tissue down to wood that appears healthy. If
blighted twigs are pruned out during summer, cuts should be made l2 to l5
inches below diseased wood and pruning tools should be disinfested by
dipping in a 2:10 solution of household bleach in water after each cut."

We operate an orchard with over 11,000 trees in Northern Illinois and are in
climate zone 5.  We had a bit of blight this past season and used these
recommendations, as we have in the past and lost no trees out of over 100
trees with blight.  I would also recommend the book "Diseases of Tree Fruits
in the East" from Michigan State University Extension which is an excellent
guide on diseases and their control with very helpful photos.  You can also
purchase from Amazon.com at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565250109/qid%3D1130890460/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-0015974-0383260.
I hope this helps!

Dennis Norton