[NAFEX] citrus seedlings need help

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Tue May 31 17:50:27 EDT 2005

The only citrus I've grown is Meyers Lemon.  I never water it more than
once a week.  (I water it until water comes out the bottom when I do
water it, but it's in a light, well-drained soil, so I don't think it
gets really waterlogged.)

It does drop all its leaves from time to time.  I'm never sure if
that's a seasonal thing or purely a reaction to stress.  I usually
drops its leaves (each one turning yellow before drying and falling
off) in the fall, but it gets a lot of stress then - first it gets
colder than it likes, then I bring it indoors and the humidity changes
drastically, and at the same time, it always loses some roots when I
move it.  But it usually sends out new shoots while the leaves are
dropping, so I know it isn't dead.  At any rate, it seems to come back.

When I remember, I add an ordinary plant food to the water I use to
water it in the winter.  In the summer I plant it in the back yard and
it gets some compost and sometimes a spring feeding of whatever I have
that year, but after that, nothing but rain water until it goes back
inside in the fall.

Ginda