[NAFEX] Everbearing blackberries?

athagan at atlantic.net athagan at atlantic.net
Tue May 31 12:29:22 EDT 2005

This time I'm not having a problem (I think) but more of a case of not
understanding what I'm looking at.

I have four varieties of blackberries - Brazos, Chickasaw, Kiowa, and
one called Southern by the nursery I bought them from.  The Brazos
have been in the ground three years and about half the Chickasaws for
two years, the rest I planted early spring of this year.

Their berries are all starting to color up now with the first few
already having ripened.  At the same time though all of them have
blossoms or fruit they just set.

Is this some sort of stress reaction?  I don't recall having seen this
before where I have ripe fruit, new green fruit, AND blossoms all at
the same time on blackberries.  I've seen both pears and muscadine
grapes put out blossoms in the Fall which I understood to be a stress
reaction.  I'm not sure why my blackberries would be stressed like
that though as they're all mulched and fertilized regularly.

Any ideas?

.....Alan.