[NAFEX] Sudden pecan death.

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon May 30 10:27:12 EDT 2005

That description sounds like a delayed rejection of the graft, very
similar to blackline in English walnuts.  In that case, the English
walnut is grafted on black walnut.  There is a cherry virus (forget
which one) that can infect walnuts through the flowers.  In black
walnuts, the tree reacts by immediately dropping the flowers before the
virus can get into the tree.  In English walnuts, the virus just goes
ahead and enters the tree.  When English is grafted on black walnut,
the virus gets as far as the graft union, where the black walnut
rootstock reacts by producing a layer of dead tissue to block the
virus.  That causes the graft union to fail, so the top dies and the
rootstock sprouts.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.