[NAFEX] Nurse limbs.

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Mon May 30 09:39:14 EDT 2005

Jerry is right about persimmons.  I was thinking of apples at the time
I wrote that.  My experience with persimmons is the same as his.  Even
on apples, it's a good idea to keep the nurse limb pruned back.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
On May 30, 2005, at 6:35 AM, Jwlehman at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 5/29/2005 5:43:25 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
lonrom at hevanet.com writes:

> One other thing that can help - leave a few "nurse" limbs near the
>  graft if possible.  It seems to help draw energy to the grafts.  Cut
>  the nurse limbs off in the winter after the grafts go, though.

  Lon Rombough

  Hello all,
  My experiences grafting persimmon differ form Lon's. I've been doing
both, with and w/o nurse limbs for many years. My conclusion is nurse
limbs can defer nutrition from the graft to the nurse limb. Last year I
grafted about 8 trees 4 to 6 inches in diameter and about half with
nurse limbs. There was on the average considerably less growth on the
trees with nurse limbs.

nafex mailing list
nafex at lists.ibiblio.org

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**