[NAFEX] Nurse limbs.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon May 30 09:35:11 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/29/2005 5:43:25 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
lonrom at hevanet.com writes:

> One other thing that can help - leave a few "nurse" limbs near the
> graft if possible.  It seems to help draw energy to the grafts.  Cut
> the nurse limbs off in the winter after the grafts go, though.

Lon Rombough

Hello all,
My experiences grafting persimmon differ form Lon's. I've been doing both,
with and w/o nurse limbs for many years. My conclusion is nurse limbs can defer
nutrition from the graft to the nurse limb. Last year I grafted about 8 trees
4 to 6 inches in diameter and about half with nurse limbs. There was on the
average considerably less growth on the trees with nurse limbs.

Jerry