[NAFEX] pear pollination question

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Sun May 29 19:48:26 EDT 2005

I think I got this idea from a list post of a couple years ago.  Are some
pear flowers so large that small-sized pollinators can land on a petal,
crawl to the center to collect nectar, and never touch pollen?  Can a pear
tree be full of bloom-season insect activity but, because of the above, not
get pollinated?

My favorite pear tree which in the past seemed to be self-fruitful, regular
generous crops, has in recent years not been so bountiful.  It is always
more or less full of flowers (and tiny flying insects!) at bloom season, but
only yields a few fruits.  This spring pollen was available from other
cultivars, but altho there was good fruit-set on these others, still very
few on this tree.

I wish I had thought to examine and compare all these cultivars' flowers.
And, I have to wait another year to try some hand pollinations.  The only
other obvious variable is, in those past bountiful years there were more
honey bee hives in the neighborhood.

I don't recall seeing bumble bees working this tree.  I hate to think I
wouldn't notice them.

Ideas, please, for what I should plan to try next year.  Thanks!