[NAFEX] What do deer REALLY want?

Richard Frost frost at san.rr.com
Fri May 27 23:42:42 EDT 2005

I'm not sure how much acreage you are trying to protect.  In the mid 1980's
my neighbor was trying to protect his garden and orchard of 300 x 300 feet
against a good portion of the mule deer in the Trinity (CA) mountains.  His
initial effort of a 7 foot fence was of course no barrier at all, nor was
the 4 foot extension.  So he bought a pallet of commercial grade 20' 2 by
4's, a box of bailing wire, and a pallet of 5' high non-climbable fence, the
4" variety.  The timbers were painted with creosote.  A 15' perimeter fence
was erected.  It took us about 6 hours to construct.  No deer ever entered.
After 2 years, the deer did not frequent that part of the valley.