[NAFEX] Orioles, an observation.

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Fri May 27 14:21:59 EDT 2005

The oranges attract by color as well as flavor.  I would think you would
want that bright orange to bring them in.  Interesting they like bananas - I
never tried that.  Did they use peeled or unpeeled?  What color?

Stephen

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Jwlehman at aol.com
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 7:40 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] Orioles, an observation.

In a message dated 5/26/2005 3:46:44 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
Docshiva at Docshiva.org writes:

Orioles and tanagers are lovely bug-eaters to have around.  You can buy
nectar feeders for them, or keep orange halves out for them.

Two years ago while traveling in Costa Rico (beautiful country) I had the
opportunity to observe Orioles as they winter there in addition to other
migrating birds. People had rails about 5 feet off the ground where they
placed bananas and oranges for birds including the Orioles. Being a curious
fellow I wanted to know which they preferred, oranges or bananas.

So one morning I placed newly cut oranges and fresh unpeeled bananas on a
rail and watched. They did prefer bannas. If you are feeding oranges to your
Orioles may I suggest trying bananas also.

Jerry