[NAFEX] Orioles, an observation.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri May 27 10:39:33 EDT 2005

In a message dated 5/26/2005 3:46:44 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
Docshiva at Docshiva.org writes:

> Orioles and tanagers are lovely bug-eaters to have around.  You can buy
> nectar feeders for them, or keep orange halves out for them.

Two years ago while traveling in Costa Rico (beautiful country) I had the
opportunity to observe Orioles as they winter there in addition to other
migrating birds. People had rails about 5 feet off the ground where they placed
bananas and oranges for birds including the Orioles. Being a curious fellow I wanted
to know which they preferred, oranges or bananas.

So one morning I placed newly cut oranges and fresh unpeeled bananas on a
rail and watched. They did prefer bannas. If you are feeding oranges to your
Orioles may I suggest trying bananas also.

Jerry