[NAFEX] Re: deer repellents and fences

Louisa Rogoff Thompson louisathompson at erols.com
Fri May 27 09:10:11 EDT 2005

Paul,

I've had good results with deer-deterring tablets in the root ball.
Repellex is one brand.  It takes about 6 weeks for the plant to absorb
them, but then they last for about 18 months.  If you are most troubled
by deer in the winter, you would put the tablets in by mid-summer.  Like
any method, they will only work if the deer can find other food.  The
smell is noticeable to people only while handling the tablets, and is
minimal compared to sprays.  I think they affect the taste of the plant
more than its smell.  What I don't know is whether they would affect the
taste of the fruit!  Anyone know?  But if you want to protect young
trees that you won't harvest within 2 years, this is the most
cost-effective way.

I've heard that a double fence is more effective than a single one, and
can be much lower.  It should be very visible, like snow fence.
Apparently deer do not have good depth perception and can't tell whether
they can leap a double fence, so they don't try.  I would guess the two
fences should be 3-4' apart.  Has anyone ever done this, or know any
more specifics?

Louisa Thompson
Columbia, MD, zone 7B