[NAFEX] attract birds into apple tree?

Rodney Eveland reveland at collinscom.net
Thu May 26 22:02:14 EDT 2005

You can use a feeder with seeds in it as many birds are omnivorous.
Here is a partial pictorial list I came across.

http://www.pbase.com/drhangar/omnivorous_eating_birds

One of my friends says the best way to attract these kinds of birds is
to have a quite large feeder that has glass or plastic sides so the
birds can see the seeds, but only one small feeding station and lots
of perches in the area around it so birds can  sit and "wait their
turn".  He claims that while they are waiting they will eat anything
else they happen to see and many have quite good eyesite. He claims
this is a good way to fight grasshoppers if you don't want to use an
insecticide. I never tried it myself as we haven't had any serious
insect problems ever since people started using those grasshopper and
caterpillar diseases. We haven't had a lot of butterflies since then
either.  My butterfly bushes were just covered the first few years I
had them, but never since. .