[NAFEX] Hand pollination

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Mon May 23 06:49:39 EDT 2005

On the topic of hand-pollination. . . I tried to hand pollinate some
apple blossoms this year and I had trouble.  I've hand-pollinated other
stuff.  I've always just taken a Q-tip and brushed it gently against
the prospective father, and then against the prospective mother.
Ordinarily, after the first step the end of the Q-tip is visibly
yellow.  I tried this with apple blossoms, and couldn't pick up any
visible pollen.  Some of the blossoms were older, and the anthers were
brown.  Other blossoms were younger and the anthers were pale yellow.
(We had a cold snap between when the first blossoms opened, and when
some other blossoms opened.)

Do apple blossoms stay on the tree for an extended non-fertile period?
How does one recognize a "ripe" blossom?

(It looks like the "prospective mother" blossoms set, so either there
was a little pollen, or the bees did the job for me.)

Thanks,
Ginda