[NAFEX] Hand pollination

Jason MacArthur rotread at localnet.com
Mon May 23 06:15:41 EDT 2005

Due to the cool and rainy weather rut that we in New England are stuck
in, I am going to try hand pollinating in my apple orchard this year.
I got some good directions off of the Midwest Apple Improvement
Association website, but I am left with one question.  I have collected
the anthers  I wish to use for pollinating, and they are in storage.
However,  what I actually want to put on the flower is not anthers but
pollen, correct?  Do the anthers release pollen as they dry? Does
anyone have any experience with this stage who can set me straight as
to how to go from anther to pollen?  Thank you, and I hope everyone
else is getting better weather for pollination than we are!

Jason MacArthur
Marlboro, Vt.
Zone 4b