[NAFEX] fungicide or antibacterial? (fireblight)

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sun May 22 21:25:08 EDT 2005


Copper is a broad-spectrum 'cide.  It kills bacteria also at the proper concentration.

As for the alcohol, it is true that alcohol dips kill more effectively with longer exposure of the pathogen to the alcohol, but a shorter time period will reduce the inoculum and thus the likelihood of spreading the disease.  One common misconception about alcohols that even a surprising percentage of junior biological scientists are unaware of is that 100% alcohol is less effective at killing than 70% alcohol (speaking about ethanol here).  That is because the little bit of water in the 70% solution helps the alcohol penetrate the bacterial or fungal cell walls so that the alcohol can kill more quickly.  I prefer to buy cheap 200 proof (100%) ethanol from a liquor store and dilute it to 70% to sterilize my equipment.  Any possible ignominy of entering the liquor store is outweighed its usefulness for dissolving rooting hormone (IBA) and sterilizing shears & saws.  

Anton
Zone 8, with only a little blight so far this year.
-----Original Message-----
From: tanis cuff <tanistanis at hotmail.com>
Sent: May 18, 2005 11:59 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] fungicide or antibacterial? (fireblight)

Reading the paragraph below reminded me of a comment in the current 
'Pomona'.  The fireblight article recommends spraying copper fungicide.  
Fireblight is a bacterium.  Fungicides kill fungi, not bacteria.  Is the 
fungicide spray intended to promote over-all health of orchard?

Another question which the fireblight article prompts me to ask is about the 
rubbing alcohol.  I was taught you need to soak anything in rubbing alcohol 
for half-an-hour, to sterilize.  Does anyone know if this is right?



----Original Message Follows----
From: "Stephen Sadler" <
To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <>
Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Substitute for Surround
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 12:46:53 -0700

.... Although in practice the milk/garlic spray seems to work, in theory I 
wonder
if milk alone would be better.  If milk works by increasing the population
of beneficial bacteria (which in turn inhibit fungal viability), and garlic
is antibacterial, seems it might defeat the purpose to do both.  Maybe
garlic is somewhat selective.  Okay, I know the antibacterial effect of
garlic to be selective, but I have no certainty of how that would work in
the garden.  I actually have used milk alone when I suspect a fungal or
viral problem, and just garlic when it seems bacterial - and both when I'm
unsure.  That's a confession - 'twould have been better to have tried one,
then the other....


_______________________________________________
nafex mailing list 
nafex at lists.ibiblio.org

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
All other messages are discarded.
No exceptions.  
----
To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options):
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex

File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
Please do not send binary files.
Use plain text ONLY in emails!

Message archives are here:
http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/nafex

NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/




More information about the nafex mailing list