[NAFEX] Pixie Crunch Pollinator Update

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Fri May 20 22:02:28 EDT 2005

I bought a Pixie Crunch apple last spring at the suggestion of our Ed
Fackler who sold this Purdue introduction at his Rocky Meadow Nursery before
it was bought out by the big guys.  I asked last fall on this list if anyone
knew which apples would pollinate Pixie Crunch.  There was no answer except
from Ed who said he didn't know, either.

I have two apples set!!!  So the pollinator for Pixie Crunch, Ed, has to be
either Jonathan (the neighbor's apple tree) or the ornamental crabs in my
yard.

Even though the tree has only been in the ground a year, I'm going to let
these two apples develop.  The tree came with branches nearly parallel to
the ground and has grown vigorously into a strong scaffold.  I'm hoping the
apples tastes as good as this disease-free tree has performed.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border
Zone 4a/5b
(No tornadoes here, Tanis, but we had 2-inch hail.)