[NAFEX] Fireblight cure.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri May 20 11:07:56 EDT 2005

It was written:
   That Pomona fireblight article says, "The best spray to use so far is
Streptomycin, if you can find it.  As far as I've been able to discover, only big
fruit growers can access Streptomycin."

Hello all,

I'm not sure how well Streptomycin will work for a small grower. About three
years ago at an Indiana Hort. Society meeting a commercial grower reported he
noticed the outside rows in the orchard didn't receive the same degree of
protection as the center of his orchard. He theorized bees coming in from the
outside brought in fresh bacterium whereas the center of the orchard trees were
visited by bees that had been across flowers with Strep. killing what was on
their bodies. Based on his report a few stand alone trees might receive less
protection as they would be more likely to receive continual fresh inoculum.

Jerry