[NAFEX] Prunus americana availability.

Charles Paradise machelp at attglobal.net
Fri May 20 08:23:32 EDT 2005

Ummm...don't.  P. Americana has a few good strains, many poor strains.   it's chief downfall as a rootstock is it usually spreads by underground sprouting runners throughout your entire garden.  Worse, I have had numerous cultivars grafted on these runners with many flowers but zero fruit.

When they say "almond grafts onto plum" what they probably mean is onto french-type rootstock plums like Brompton.  I doubt, really doubt, that california almonds grow on P. Americana.

Jerry, can you comment on your P. Americanas as grown in your area?
Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts