[NAFEX] Stone fruit rootstock brain-picking

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Thu May 19 12:40:20 EDT 2005

Hello Fruit Lovers,
I have a few questions that I cannot seem to clarify:
Will Prunus americana accept and fruit peach or apricot?
Will seedling apricot rootstock accept and fruit peach? How about Euro, Asian and
American plums also on apricot rootstock?
I have a lot of left over rootstock and wondered what interesting experiments can I
try. Some multi-specie trees would be fun!
 One thing is certain after this winter: Peach rootstock suffers near total die
back here in the zone 4 region of Maine, to the point where I am either going
wholly into own-root production, or I have got to find another rootstock.
 The same goes for Prunus cerasifera rootstock. They put on lots of growth last
summer, and lost almost half to two-thirds of it this winter, but that is no where
near the peach damage. But the P.c. grew HUGE fibrous roots! Although this was a
pleasant surprise, for budding and grafting purposes I prefer putting cultivars on
something as hardy or hardier than the scion/bud.
 What I have been trying to do is trial various rootstocks, letting them grow out
for a few summers. If they survive the winters, I may even let them try and produce
fruit. This is what I was hoping for with the Prunus cerasifera, but it has shown
its flaws and has been yanked.
 I would be very pleased if someone could suggest a supplier of hardy Prunus
domestica seed or rootstock. I have never come across it in rootstock form in the
wholesale rootstock business. I am interested to try it. If you have a bunch of
pits left over from this year's bounty from some hardy cultivars, let me know!
Overall, if you had a moment, please share the stone fruit rootstock/scion combos
you've experimented with!
Looking for the lock and the key for this Northern stone fruit stuff,
Heron Breen
zone 4 Maine