[NAFEX] fungicide or antibacterial? (fireblight)

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Wed May 18 15:41:46 EDT 2005


You wrote: "Fungicides kill fungi, not bacteria."  
Well, depends on the fungicide.  Say you're a hunter with a rabbit gun and
an elephant gun.  Would you say "elephant guns kill elephants, not rabbits"?
I think a gun that would bring down an elephant would pretty much take care
of a wee rabbit, now, wouldn't it?  There are many bacteria that don't like
copper solutions any more than fungi do.  Copper hydroxide is labeled for
many fungi, and bacteria as well.

Cheers,

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8, 
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate


-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of tanis cuff
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 9:00 AM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] fungicide or antibacterial? (fireblight)

Reading the paragraph below reminded me of a comment in the current 
'Pomona'.  The fireblight article recommends spraying copper fungicide.  
Fireblight is a bacterium.  Fungicides kill fungi, not bacteria.  Is the 
fungicide spray intended to promote over-all health of orchard?

Another question which the fireblight article prompts me to ask is about the

rubbing alcohol.  I was taught you need to soak anything in rubbing alcohol 
for half-an-hour, to sterilize.  Does anyone know if this is right?







More information about the nafex mailing list