[NAFEX] Substitute for Surround

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Tue May 17 16:53:38 EDT 2005

Just want to point out that although I have suspicions why milk would work,
I don't know of any proven method of action as a disease treatment for
plants.  Could be Ca, other minerals, lactoferrin, pH, increased
habitability for beneficial microorganisms, soil conditioning... obviously
no chemical company wants to fund the research...

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Olenio
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 4:45 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Substitute for Surround

Hello,

If it stays on the leaves it would start breaking down, and create an acid
surface, deterring fungus.  Milk is often sprayed on roses to change to
PH, making surfaces acidic, and keeping black spot at bay.

Milk is also used to encourage lichen growth on new stonework, making it
look old.

I imagine that a "sticker" should be added to hold the milk on the leaves.

Not a bad experiment.

Later,
Tom

All other messages are discarded.