[NAFEX] Ants (and Earwigs) as Biological Control

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Mon May 16 08:33:49 EDT 2005

Diane Whitehead said:
    The biological control insect we have is the earwig, but I was not
agreed with by some NAFEXERS who live in a different climate from
mine, and who find them totally bad.

    When I lived in California's Central Valley, earwigs were viewed by most
folks as totally bad plant eaters however I have witnessed them eating
insects too.  Wherever there were lights near the ground that attracted
flying insects, earwigs would be nearby snagging insects.  I have observed
them on walls near porch lights too but they always stayed close to the
ground (and easily unnoticed).  From these sightings I would conclude that
they must also be predatory in other instances as well.
    As for ants, here in Minnesota where earwigs are rare, I have often
observed black ants carrying insects to their den.  Our native Fire Ants
also prey on insects.
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm