[NAFEX] poultry in orchards

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Sun May 15 12:24:34 EDT 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 11:30 PM, kieran or donna wrote:

> A few years ago there was some discussion
> of organic orchards here, and someone referred to an observation that
> most
> organic orchards that were doing well were pretty heavily stocked with
> poultry.

Recent restrictions about timing of fresh manure applications on
certified fields have put some crimp in this; unfortunately, in my
opinion, though I agree some reasonable caution is necessary. If you're
not trying to get certified, either don't use drops or wash them well
first. If you are interested in certification, check with your
certifier about what times of year you can allow the birds in.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly