[NAFEX] Ants as biological control?

Travis Callahan teecee2 at bellsouth.net
Sat May 14 22:00:20 EDT 2005

Hello Rodney,
In my area the fire ants are so bad that they sometimes kill baby deer and
calves just after they are born. Whole pastures are infested with those
things and I can't see them doing anything good.

Then the aphids leave "honey dew " that brings in sooty mildew and all kinds
of other problems. I attempt to kill ants and aphids....
Travis Callahan South Louisiana  Zone 8/9

Subject: [NAFEX] Ants as biological control?

> While searching on bugs I came across articles that stated ants have
> been and are today being used as biological controls of other insects.
> Most of the articles mentioned their use in Citrus, Sweet Potato,
> coconut and one other plant which I can't remember. One of my
> relatives told me he know longer destroys red ant hills as they are
> quite predatory - catching and eating mosquitoes that are hiding on
> the bottom side of leaves to escape the heat of the day.
>
> Anyone have any information about the "good side" of some ants? Can
> some species be moved into an area where bad ants are using aphids as
> "dairy cows"?

used to change other email options):