[NAFEX] espalier apples

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Thu May 12 06:48:30 EDT 2005

I have some baby apples trees I planted this spring, and I'd like to
espalier them.   Any advice, suggestions, etc?

I have three cultivars on three rootstocks, and I may graft one or two
over to something else next year.  (I couldn't buy exactly what I
wanted, but I was able to get all the parts.)  I was thinking it might
be fun to get fancy and have different cultivars on different limbs,
instead of grafting the whole thing.  Has anyone tried anything like
this?  Or is it more trouble than its worth?

Thanks,
Ginda