[NAFEX] Plum Pollenation Question

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Wed May 11 08:57:21 EDT 2005

   When my plum trees are in bloom, it is a spectacular site.  Folks driving
by stop to stare but the honey bees don't seem to even notice the masses of
white blooms.  They just fly right over them as though they can't see all of
the flowers.  I used to wonder if my honey bees were either lazy or going
after better flowers.
   This year the bloom is late and the plums and black currants are blooming
concurrently, an event that I've not witnessed before.  Black Currants have
relatively insignificant, almost green flowers and the bees had no trouble
finding them.  That leads me to rethink my prejudice(?) about honey bees and
plum blossoms.  So I ask, "Do plum blossoms not have nectar to attract honey
bees?"  Do honey bees frequent the plum flowers in your orchard?
--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm