[NAFEX] Thank you.

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Tue May 10 00:27:26 EDT 2005

Richard,

Have they caused any damage?  Without damage, it's hard to say they're
harmful - and they could be beneficial.  Do we yet have an id on them?  Are
they soft like most cutworms?  Have leglets like cutworms or other
caterpillars?  Segmented with firm skin (shell) and possessing many wee
legs, like centipedes or millipedes?  Or are they structured more like
earthworms?

Millipedes like the environment you described, fit the length and color
description, will curl up, and they are often taken for worms.  They are
generally beneficial, in that they hasten the breakdown of dead or dying
organic material (fallen leaves and small fruit).  A few can be harmful to
corn and bean seedlings, but others are beneficial carnivores.  For the most
part, control is not necessary, and can lessen the health of the garden.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

  _____