[NAFEX] hungry voles and tasty trees and maurauding domestic cats

Pat Meadows pat at containerseeds.com
Fri May 6 14:33:08 EDT 2005

On Fri, 06 May 2005 12:53:26 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just the circle of life.
>
>I have never seen a cat catch a bird, as in the countryside, birds are
>much too wary when on the ground to be caught.

I have.  We live in the country.  Our cat *very
occasionally* catches a bird.  Again, I wouldn't know this
except that she brings all her catches to the front porch.

My estimate is that she maybe gets about five birds a YEAR.
The only birds I have ever seen her get are English sparrows
and young starlings.

She probably gets 200 or so [voles+mice] per year.  There
are no other cats in the immediate area, so she has no
feline competition.  There are foxes, though, and I think
they must compete for the same prey.

Pat

--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.