[NAFEX] "Bangor " Blackberry

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Thu May 5 19:01:22 EDT 2005

For all you rubus and Blackberry fans,
Are any of you interested in plants of the cv "Bangor" Blackberry? Originated in
Newburgh, Maine, and the fellow I received it from got it from the grandson of the
cousin(?) of the originator. Listed in both the Brambles of New York (is that the
name or is it Berries, sorry! cooking dinner and writing!) and Fred Card's
1908 "Bush Fruits-a handbook of raspberries, blackberries, dewberries,
gooseberries, currants, blueberries, and other small fruits". The current keeper,
one Peter Chase, was childhood neighbors with the grandson and neice of the
originator, one Henry W. Brown. Hardy to zone 4 with very little tip damage, fairly
upright, large berry, and sweet. Let me know if you are interested and how many
plants you might want. You wouldn't need many because this one is vigorous, and I
mean amazing. I saw some of the current keeper's plants he set out into rows from
root cuttings last year (from his overgrown patch) and this bugger grew 3 feet and
put out 8 side branches. This is in fertile soil, mind you. Next spring around this
time would be when you'd receive them. It may be two years out if large response to
this offer is given. I will charge a small fee to cover my time if people want a
lot, added to shipping etc. So not totally free, but these days you've got to cover
your gas money at least!
Let me know,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine