[NAFEX] hungry voles and tasty trees

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Thu May 5 18:05:14 EDT 2005

On May 5, 2005, at 3:28 PM, Thomas Olenio wrote:

> Buy or adopt a grey cat.  They are supposed to be good hunters.  That
> is why farmers keep "barn cats".  They are not pets.
>
> PS: Do not feed the cat too much.  You want a hungry hunter, not fat
> cat.

A good hunter will hunt even if well fed. A poor hunter will not hunt
well even if hungry. Please don't get a cat in order to keep it half
starved. (A cat in poor condition is likely to be a worse hunter,
actually, as it hasn't the strength or reflexes of one in good shape.)

I doubt the color of the cat has much to do with it. A mother who is a
good hunter, and who was around the kittens long enough to teach them
how, is likely to be a better indicator.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly