[NAFEX] Any opinions on my grafting problem? - scions and saliva

Erdman, Jim ErdmanJ at uwstout.edu
Thu May 5 10:06:05 EDT 2005

Jerry wrote about scions:

>  A few years back after someone told me of keeping them moist in the mouth in saliva I tried it. Three of three > persimmon grafts took and grew. Looked like a good idea. Next spring all three were dead which is not
> normally a problem with persimmon.

In the last month or so I have been doing a lot of reading on grafting in my library of fruit growing books, and I recall reading in one (and offhand I don't recall which book) about a study done about things that affected the percentage of takes of grafts.  One commercial grower had a grafter who habitually kept a couple of scions in his mouth, and he had a less than hoped for percentage of grafts take.  When he made a point to not put them in his mouth, his percentage increased dramatically, to that of the other grafters working in the same business with the same rootstocks and scion wood.

I never did find the info that I was looking for in the books, which would be clear information on the aftercare of benchgrafts--what to do with them until they are planted in the ground, and just when that should be, whether it should be in a nursery, etc.  No one seemed to have clear info unless it was hidden away in a different part of the book.  Any suggestions for reading will be appreciated.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI