[NAFEX] Scion soaking

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Thu May 5 08:51:36 EDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005 08:41:02 EDT, <Jwlehman at aol.com> wrote:

>  A few scions I placed in a glass of water while preparing the rootstock,
> mostly I
> just worked quick so the scion wouldn't dry out. I grafted about 10 of
> each
> fruit type, mostly using a cleft graft, whip-and-tongue on a few.

Hi,

Water quality would also be important.  Is it tap water with floride and
chlorine?  Is it hard water loaded with calcium?  Is it soft water?  Is it
softened water (salt residue)

Take baked beans for example...  If you try to make baked beans with hard
water, loaded with calcium the beans will never hydrate properly.  The
calcium blocks pores, not allowing water to enter the beans.

We have some of the hardest water in Ontario, and it can be a real
problem.  Water soluables do not work well and sprayers plug.  Cannot even
wash a car with it, as it leaves a white film.

Just things to think about.

Later,
Tom