[NAFEX] Any opinions on my grafting problem?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed May 4 09:36:15 EDT 2005

At 06:22 AM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
>What do you use to wrap your grafts of different sizes
>with?

Rob,
For almost everything, I wrap with Parafilm -covering the entire graft
union and scion- then I overwrap with a grafting/budding rubber.
Parafilm works very nicely with the 3 or 4 flap 'banana' grafts, as it
holds all the pieces(3 or 4 flaps of bark and the scion) in place pretty
nicely, without them shifting, which was frequently a problem when I tried
to torque a grafting rubber on without something holding the pieces in place.

The rubbers usually degrade and begin falling off/apart within 2-3 weeks,
but with the Parafilm underwrap, the scion and callusing graft union are
still protected, to some degree, from dessication, even though the rubber
is no longer applying pressure to hold the pieces together.

Lucky