[NAFEX] Low-chill, blight resistant pears?

O'Barr, R. D. topgun at otelco.net
Tue May 3 17:33:23 EDT 2005

MessageRichard:
    I believe that Leona is a possibility for you as it does well in So. LA. It blooms early in theis frost prone area, Zone 7 where I am now located, but after more than 15 years have never had a problem with fire blightr. One small limnb maybe one year or two only  1 -2 feet long. I have it started here and had a few pears last year.
    Two men I know in LA cut down their Warren's due to insufficient fruit and with a major disease in the other instance. Something like spiriopsis(sp).
    Leona does well in Baton Rouge. It has no grit cells and great tast when ripened properly.
Good luck.