[NAFEX] Freeze Resistant Fruits

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Tue May 3 15:06:52 EDT 2005

Last night and tonight our yard resembles a poor imitation of
Christo's Gates of Central Park, where we drape sheer fabric over
tender blooming fruits.  This ensures our first full crop of
fruit--strawberries.
This morning ground temps froze water in a bucket, but tender kaki
persimmon flower buds only 4 feet above survived, too close for
comfort.

If you are growing selections of fruit that resist frost/freezes that
normally damage such fruits, please let us know.
Particularly:
Kaki persimmons or kiwi that break dormancy much later, or rebloom
after being frozen back.
Strawberries with frost resistant blooms.

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
East Tennessee, USDA Zone 6, 1800'