[NAFEX] Low-chill, blight resistant pears?

Brungardt, Sam Sam.Brungardt at state.mn.us
Tue May 3 10:38:06 EDT 2005

Richard, an interesting publication that you might find useful is
"Growing Temperate Tree Fruit and Nut Crops in the Home Garden" by Paul
M. vossen and Deborah Silver
(http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/varieties.pdf).  That same site --
http://hmeorchard.ucdavis.edu/ -- has other good references for
California amateur fruit growers.

The publication above says that the following pears are adapted to the
low-altitudes of southern California because they have winter chilling
requirements lower than 300 hours: Baldwin, Carnes, Florida Home
(Flordahome), Fan Stil, Garber, Hensan, Hood, Kieffer, Orient,
Pineapple, Seleta and Spadona.

You may want to contact the UC Davis farm advisor for San Diego County
for varietal recommendations.  His name is Gary S. Bender
(gsbender at ucdavis.edu, 858-694-2856).  He may know which of these pears
are extra-low chill and fireblight resistant. -- Sam Brungardt, St.
Paul, Minn.