[NAFEX] Killing (reducing) brush organicly

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Mon May 2 11:34:27 EDT 2005

Other than pulling brush or herbiciding it, both having disadvantages, here
are some cutting methods.

First rule-- cut in spring to make woody plants mad and make them grow
faster, cut in late summer to slow down woody plants (remember
summer-pruning for apple trees...)

So, if you can cut or mow brush, do it in August.  Except for the first year
where brush is very vigorous-- then, cut in mid July and cut regrowth in mid
September, and after that you can mow once in Aug.

Another method, supposed to be especially effective on clonal patches
(example: poplar, black locust)-- cut at waist to shoulder height one day,
next day (as close to 24 hours as practical) cut at ground level.  I think
this is for the growing season, not for dormant.  I haven't tried this, but
neighbors have, and said they liked the results.