[NAFEX] Killing Poison Ivy Organically

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun May 1 16:48:52 EDT 2005

On May 1, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Pat Meadows wrote:

> We don't seem to have any poison ivy in this area
> (Appalachian Mountains in northern Pennsylvania).  It
> surprised me, but I have not seen any in four years of
> living here and I recognize it when I see it.
>
> I can only assume the winters are too cold for it (the
> lowest temperature we've experienced here is -26 F).
> Anyway, it doesn't seem to be here.
>
> Pat
> --

I think you're right about the temperature.  There's a fairly sharp
line in NH and upstate NY between where the poison ivy grows, and where
it doesn't.  I'm pretty sure it corresponds to winter low temps.  At
any rate, I know several places where it grows next to the water, or in
the valley, but doesn't grow once you get a little elevation.

Ginda