[NAFEX] Spring pest questions

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 11:29:25 EDT 2005

Ginda,

The local garden store sold Imidan last year to unlicensed folks, but the rules for the product may have changed.

I got my Ashmead's Kernel scionwood from the Foxwhelp Farms or some such name... I can't remember, but they were the folks that were associated with Trees of Antiquity when they first took over from Sonoma Antique Apple nursery.  I can't rule out that the stock had the virus, but the same lot of stock was used to graft many cultivars and only the AK had the virus symptoms.  Really impressive, bright yellow splotches on green.  It only showed symptoms in cool weather- a sign that the plant was fighting off the virus when the PTGS defense mechanism was active (in hot weather).  Anyway, I yanked the tree, but as an afterthought, I thought I should double-check with those more experienced with this cultivar.

Thanks,

Anton

BTW, I apologize if you got one of those obnoxious challenge messages.  I've adjusted my spam filter so that shouldn't happen again.