[NAFEX] Killing Poison Ivy Organically

dtv at mwt.net dtv at mwt.net
Sun May 1 10:00:14 EDT 2005

I've used goat also & they do love it, wish I had had the hogs for followup.  I
also wanted to say that for small patches, clear plastic burns it if you leave
it for a whole summer, thru several cycles of regeneration.  Be careful
disposing of the plastic, of course, if you're sensitive to the stuff like me.

mIEKAL

>     There seems to be much interest in killing Poison Ivy so I thought I'd
> tell you how I killed it.  I had alot of it and it was so thick that I
> couldn't get into it to spray without getting some on me so, first, I made a
> trip to the hardware store.  I bought electric fence supplies, enough to
> enclose my one acre, installing two wires, one at 12" high and another at
> 30".  Then I rented two goats.  Goats LOVE the stuff.  After a month or so,
> the land was de-nuded of Poison Ivy AND all other brush,  but the roots were
> still intact.  I returned the goats and bought a few pigs (I couldn't find
> anyone who would rent pigs).  The pigs rooted up all of the roots.  Then,
> when the land was ready to plant, the neighbors and I had pork sausage in
> the freezer.
>
> --
>
> Jim Fruth
> Brambleberry Farm