[NAFEX] Spring pest questions

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun May 1 10:31:15 EDT 2005

On May 1, 2005, at 10:22 AM, Anton Callaway wrote:

> I know that Spring has arrived in North Carolina because the curculios
> have come out in force in the orchard.  It reminded me of several
> questions that I have been meaning to ask of fellow NAFEXers.
>
> 1.  Is Imidan still on the market?  I can't seem to get it locally
> even though it was available last year.  Curculios are the number one
> stone fruit pest here and I am constantly looking for the safest,
> effective control that doesn't freak out the HOA.  Surround is safe,
> but is considered "not aesthetically pleasing" by the local politburo.

I vaguely recall something about Imidan being restricted to licensed
applicators, but you should wait until someone who actually knows
something chimes in.

> 4.  Does Ashmead's Kernel have variegated leaves?  I figured the
> answer is "no" and I just got some virus-infected scionwood, but I
> wanted to check to see if my roguing was justified.

My Ashmead's Kernal does not have variegated leaves.  Neither does the
one tree at the local PYO place that grows it.  From where did you get
your scion wood?  (If it's a commercial place that other NAFEXers might
shop at.)

Ginda