[NAFEX] Spring pest questions

Anton Callaway marillen at earthlink.net
Sun May 1 10:22:38 EDT 2005

I know that Spring has arrived in North Carolina because the curculios have come out in force in the orchard.  It reminded me of several questions that I have been meaning to ask of fellow NAFEXers.

1.  Is Imidan still on the market?  I can't seem to get it locally even though it was available last year.  Curculios are the number one stone fruit pest here and I am constantly looking for the safest, effective control that doesn't freak out the HOA.  Surround is safe, but is considered "not aesthetically pleasing" by the local politburo.
2.  Is Bull's-Eye effective against curculios?  It seems that the label doesn't mention the pest, but I realize that sometimes pesticides are not labelled for a certain pest even though they are effective against it.
3.  Does anyone know of a more reasonably-priced source of peach tree borer traps than Garden's Alive?  I left a message with Great Lakes IPM, but no one ever got back to me.  I prefer to eschew the nasty chemicals that are often used to fight PTB's, but can anyone recommend an effective control alternative?  I always catch quite a few in the traps, but can't afford to saturate the area enough for control... plus the traps only catch the males- not the egg-laying females that really do the direct damage.
4.  Does Ashmead's Kernel have variegated leaves?  I figured the answer is "no" and I just got some virus-infected scionwood, but I wanted to check to see if my roguing was justified.

Thanks in advance,

Anton
Zone 8