[NAFEX] Killing Poison Ivy Organically

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Sun May 1 09:43:14 EDT 2005

    There seems to be much interest in killing Poison Ivy so I thought I'd
tell you how I killed it.  I had alot of it and it was so thick that I
couldn't get into it to spray without getting some on me so, first, I made a
trip to the hardware store.  I bought electric fence supplies, enough to
enclose my one acre, installing two wires, one at 12" high and another at
30".  Then I rented two goats.  Goats LOVE the stuff.  After a month or so,
the land was de-nuded of Poison Ivy AND all other brush,  but the roots were
still intact.  I returned the goats and bought a few pigs (I couldn't find
anyone who would rent pigs).  The pigs rooted up all of the roots.  Then,
when the land was ready to plant, the neighbors and I had pork sausage in
the freezer.

--

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm