[NAFEX] bitter juneberries

Mark Lee markl at nytec.com
Thu Jun 23 11:05:32 EDT 2005

I have been sampling Juneberry (Amelanchier alnifolia) around town.
Until I started looking for these, I never noticed them.  Now that I
know what they look like, I see them everywhere.  Very popular choice
for landscaping projects now.  Although sweet, most of these I would
rather not eat fresh due to their bitterness.  I read that drying makes
them less bitter.  Has anyone experienced this?  I wonder if this
bitterness could be used to advantage in a fermented beverage?  Salt may
help also, similar to salting eggplant to remove bitterness, or
preserving in brine as bitter olives are?  I think I'll do some
experiments in the kitchen.  Comments?
-Mark Lee, Seattle zone 8a