[NAFEX] gooseberries ripe?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Jun 15 17:18:03 EDT 2005

At 01:01 PM 6/12/2005, Ed wrote:
>Re Pixwell:
>
>Should be named "grows well", the berries are a bit easier to pick than
>most gooseberries but the quality is not very good.They are better than no
>gooseberries at all. My feeling is that they almost have to be picked
>under-ripe. If they are fully ripe they are just sweet mush, there is no
>character to the flavor if they are ripe. I pick Pixwell (if I pick them
>at all) when they are just turning color, they are a bit tart but make
>pretty good pie, jam and wine at that stage.
I'll agree with everything Ed wrote.  Pixwell 'ain't much punkin'', but it
is one that will grow well and produce berries for me, in full sun in my
hot zone 6.  I killed several of the better cultivars when I was first
starting out, by putting 'em in full sun.  They just couldn't handle it
here.  Pixwell took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.
One of these days, I'll probably go back and try growing some GOOD
gooseberries.

Lucky